Job Duties & Responsibilities
• Assesses, plans, develops, implements, communicates and evaluates assigned residents to identify the changing care needs to ensure ongoing quality care is provided.
• Supervises the HCAs and other non-regulated health care staff to ensure all care provided is in accordance with the resident’s plan of care, organizational policies and procedures, continuing care health service standards, accommodation standards, and relevant legislation and regulations.
• Ensure that the resident care has been assigned to appropriate, competent nursing staff. Supervises those restricted activities that are supported by the facility to be assigned to HCAs and other non-regulated health care staff.
• Demonstrates knowledge in applying safe, competent, ethical, clinical evidence-based gerontology nursing practice, safe medication administration, and effective, timely documentation in accordance with organizational, legislative and legal requirements.
• Participates in the development of plans, objectives and strategies for care services, which are aligned with overall organizational strategic directions.
• Responsible for medication administration
• Participates in the development, revision and implementation of operational policies, procedures and programs in collaboration with interdisciplinary team and other stakeholders in accordance with evidence-based practices.
• Responds and reports all concerns and complaints from residents, families and staff in accordance with the concerns resolution process.
• Promotes a safe work environment for residents, family members, co-workers and self. Reports unsafe conditions within the living and working environment. Takes required action to decrease the risk of injury immediately and/or notify the
• Program Manager of the concern. Ensures investigation and follow up in respect to any unusual incidents, near misses, complaints or reports of safety concerns.
• Represents and participates in professional, corporate, site and external committees as appropriate.
• Participates in performance measurement activities to achieve continuous quality improvement.
• Other duties assigned
Skills & Qualifications:
• Licensed Practical Nurse, experience in gerontology and medication administration preferred.
• Current License in good standing with CLPNA.
• Demonstrated skills in leadership, communication, teamwork, concern resolution process and customer service.
• Strong organizational and some computer skills are required in this position.
• Awareness of accident and injury prevention, hazard identification and control; adherence to safe work practices and procedures is essential in this position.
• Demonstrated knowledge and commitment to person-centered care.